Volunteering is Easy!
If you want to assist with take-home projects, contact your teacher directly. No other process is necessary.
For parents who want to volunteer in the classroom or around school, there are a few more steps to ensure the safety of our children. The District requires that you go through a background check and obtain a volunteer badge. Learn more
- Parents need to have a District volunteer badge in order to volunteer in their child’s classroom, go on field trips, help in the library, etc.
- The badges are good for many years and do not need to be renewed annually.
- If you have a volunteer badge, please let your child’s classroom teacher know.
- If you do not have a volunteer badge, please consider beginning that process as soon as possible.
- Parents can start the process by visiting the Be A Mentor website OR calling (510) 307-4526.
Harding is lucky to have an active parent community with volunteers staffing the library, working in the classrooms, chaperoning field trips, and much, much more. Here are ways you can volunteer:
- IN THE CLASSROOM: Assist individual students or small groups with reading, math, or science activities.
- AT HOME: Volunteer at home planning events, designing flyers, doing mailings, or website maintenance.
- IN THE LIBRARY: Staff the Library.
- CLASSROOM PARENT: Work with teacher to plan classroom activities and parties.
- OFFICE VOLUNTEERING: Assist in the office as needed (contact the front office 510-231-1413)
- YARD DUTY: Lunchtime supervision needed.
- SCHOOL WIDE EVENTS: Chaperone field trips, help with the annual spelling bee or Spring Concert.
- TRANSLATION: Translate written materials into foreign and sign languages.
- OTHER SKILLS NEEDED: Whatever else you have to offer!
Contact the Harding PTA for current volunteer opportunities.